SECU Maryland Kicks off Month-Long Fundraising Campaign with 3,000 Acts of Kindness
Baltimore, Maryland (October 12, 2020) — SECU , Maryland’s largest state chartered credit union, announced today that it has kicked off a month-long fundraising campaign to spread kindness, raise funds to support the SECU MD Foundation, and do good in the community. The SECU Kindness U campaign will engage SECU’s employees, members and partners, as well as the greater community, with a goal of raising a minimum of $75,000 for the SECU MD Foundation, performing 3,000 acts of kindness in one day, and inspiring others to do the same throughout the month of October.
The KindnessU campaign launched internally to employees and SECU members on October 1, and has already raised more than $14,000 for the SECU MD Foundation. The campaign kicked off publicly today with SECU’s “Day of Kindness,” which started with all SECU employees receiving Kindness Kits to facilitate performing simple acts of kindness. The kits, which are also available to the public, contain supplies for activities that can be done at home or in the community, such as “Kindness Cards” to leave on a stranger’s windshield, sidewalk chalk and rocks to decorate and spread positive messages in the neighborhood, and postcards to send to friends, family or those in need of an uplifting message.
“KindnessU is rooted in what we believe in most — empowering ‘you’ — our employees, members and all Marylanders to spread kindness at a time when it’s much needed,” said Dave Sweiderk, President and CEO of SECU Maryland. “Each of us has the ability to empower, support and serve others. We hope our employees’, partners’ and members’ individual acts of kindness will inspire a ripple effect, far greater than the acts themselves.”
Anyone who wishes to participate in SECU’s KindnessU campaign can do so in several ways:
- Donate to the SECU MD Foundation’s online to support access to education, access to health and wellness initiatives, and grants to nonprofit organizations
- Join the SECU MD Foundation’s Virtual Bingo Night on October 22 at 6:00 p.m., with all proceeds benefitting the SECU MD Foundation
- Request a Kindness Kit online, which contains ideas, materials and instructions for performing simple acts of kindness at home or in the community
- Send a cheerful note to those who could use a smile, volunteer in the community, or select from one of the many other simple acts of kindness that have been compiled by SECU on its KindnessU site
- Share acts of kindness throughout the month on social media using #SECUKindness
- Follow SECU Maryland on Facebook and Instagram to keep up with the Kindness U campaign throughout the month of October
SECU, Maryland’s largest credit union, serves 260,000 members across the state. As a member owned, not-for-profit, SECU puts its members first. Membership is open to all Maryland state employees and their families, University System of Maryland students, graduates, staff and their families, Bank At Work partners and many others. Headquartered in Linthicum, Md., SECU has 22 financial centers and provides access to nearly 50,000 free ATMs through the CO-OP network. With over $4 billion in assets, SECU ranks among the top 60 credit unions nationwide based on total assets in the U.S. Insured by NCUA. For more information, visit www.secumd.org.